Friday 4 December 2015

OUGD405
Study Task 02
Pictograms

Using only shape and colour I had to develop a pictogram or symbol to effectively communicate my chosen olympic activity. I had to work within the supplied grid to generate a range of potential responses before selecting the most appropriate and to consider audience, scale, contrast, impact and clarity. Before picking a sport and starting the idea process I looked at previous pictograms used at the olympic games, I analysed what makes each symbol effective in communicating the sport. 





















The committee of the Olympic Games in Montreal decided to use the Munich 1972 pictograms to ensure continuity of the graphic symbols. Modifications were made to some of Otti Aicher's pictograms by Georges Huel and Pierre Yves Pelletier. The geometric lines found both on the Munich and Montreal pictograms are inspiring for my own designs as the lines draw me into the negative space surrounding the shapes but one aspect I don't like about the design is the square box surrounding each pictogram, the line weight is too thin in my opinion and serves no purpose.




























The pictogram silhouettes are made up of boomerangs, generally one for the legs and two small ones for the arms. The use of boomerangs, traditional hunting tools, pays homage to Australian Aboriginal culture. The pictogram style aims to be dynamic to recall the speed and agility of the athlete. I like these pictograms the most as they have content and a story behind them unlike the generic pictograms used at other Olympic Games. 

Once I finished looking at numerous Olympic Games pictograms I decided to pick Track & Field as the Olympic sport to communicate through a pictogram, I knew I could have variety within my design as Track & Fields covers a number of sports but I wanted the basis of my design to involve a track.

These were my first initial ideas for the Track & Field pictogram, the concept is that it represent an athlete in motion within the track, somehow I had to represent an athlete in motion but represent the various sports within Track & Field. Personally I believe the athlete looks like they are passing over  the baton as a part of the relay, I decided to stick with this design as it best represents an athlete in motion. The Circle surrounding the athlete represents a track.







































Above is the final pictogram for Track & Field, I've added a extra track lines as it confirms the sport it is communicating. I chose green because of it association with 'field'. Overall I think the design represents Track and Field in an almost ambiguous way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment