Sunday 15 November 2015

OUGD403
Studio Brief 02

At this stage I've digitalised my ideas for Lucent, and started developing them in Illustrator.





















The base of the design is a leaf influenced design for example found on the a, b, p and the o. The leaf symbolises light referring to a weightless adjective. The design decision to have a leaf shaped body that would act as a base for a majority of the characters, this helps maintain a consistent design also, as well as giving the typeface a distinctive style. The design of the leaf is a contrast of thin curved and straight lines that symbolise a leaf in a modern way.

The leaf design plays a prominent role in the design of some characters, even in some design that the leaf isn't included the curves and lines are similar, this was a key part of the design because I didn't want the leaf inspired characters dominating the character set so I used some of the curves on characters such as 'k', 'r' and the 's'. Subtle changes to the leaf resulted in the design of certain characters. The 'p' and 'q' are simply mirrored then the 'q' has a simple terminal to differentiate the two.

When I first designed the 'r' it seemed rather lost within the set due to its short shoulder, so I extended the shoulder and made the horizontal line longer to make the character larger. I wanted minimal strokes / lines throughout the design, these are evident in the design of 'j' and 'l'. These are very simple characters but are justified in my manifesto, 'clear', 'modern' and 'efficient'.


No comments:

Post a Comment