Monday 16 November 2015

OUGD403
Studio Brief 02
Final Typeface & Typeface Specimen












This is my final typeface, for the production of this typeface I used a method of using the leaf design template to base a majority of the characters from. For example when designing the 'd' I simply added a ascending stem to create the character, the 'e' was created using using a scissor tool. I used this tool in illustrator to take away the straight stroke on the right hand side of the character then I simply added a stroke to the body to devise an 'e'.This was common method I used throughout the design process of the typeface, this method always refers back to the aim of being efficient. Overall I'm very pleased with the final outcome of the design of my typeface, its stuck to the aims and manifesto of being modern, efficient and convey light. 
































For the final resolution of this brief I designed a type specimen. I used the type specimens I received from Fontsmith to influence the layout of the specimen. I wanted my specimen to firstly introduce the typeface, then precede to the manifesto and the character set then lastly show the type used in text. Before I started designing the specimen, I wanted the specimen itself to relate to my given adjective, so I had the idea of printing on tracing paper, this stock is translucent alike the name of the type and ties in with 'light'.

The translucent effect works really well for my specimen, when layered on top of each other each sheet is viewable but the only text you can read is the one present on the current page. I like this effect as it signifies translucence and my idea of 'light'. The opening page of the specimen introduces the name of the typeface and I briefly mentioned the brief for the typeface, that I chose Helvetica and had to communicate light. The second page jumps straight into the character set and the manifesto is made known. In the last page I experimented with the letters to see what the typeface would look like in a block of text. 

No comments:

Post a Comment