Monday 7 May 2018

OUGD603 - Typeface design - Expansion of brief

As an expansion of the brief I decided to push the deliverables to making woodblock type for letterpress printing. I decided this would be relevant for the type as it is a traditional type inspired by Victorian era architecture. It gives the type a more traditional form while still being contemporary for audiences today.























However, before making the final decision to make woodblock type I made sure to make a number of enquiries on the best way to go about producing woodblock in uni and how to print with them. I had a chat with Mike Flower in the traditional print room about the best size type to make. He informed me the biggest size type which can fit in the albion press is about 2.3 cm in height. So I had to bear this in mind when thinking about the restrictions of creating woodblock. I also had a chat with the staff in the wood workshop on the best ways to make woodblock and they suggested the laser machine to cut out the type.

I signed up to a laser cutter induction to learn the possibilities of using the machine and from the induction I was recommended to use a raster effect on the machine to get the woodblock, then from there I would have to cut each individual letterform using a saw.



The image above shows the nearest example of woodblock from the induction 


No comments:

Post a Comment