Friday 11 May 2018

OUGD603 - Typeface design - Woodblock type production

Once I was inducted into using the laser cutter, I booked a two hour slot on Thursday 10th May to create woodblock type. Prior to the session I had a chat with the technicians from the wood workshop about the best way to set up a file for woodblock type. I simply had to create outline text in rbg cyan so the machine knows to raster the type rather than cutting it out. The raster effect basically etches the wood to create depth rather cutting it. During the session I made sure to ask for help as much as often as this was totally new process for me, with the technician helping when he could but for most of the session I had to work out the laser cutter software for myself.

I was recommended to use a 3mm piece of plywood for the type, although I planned on using a thicker piece of wood as Mike from the printroom said I could create upto 2.3cm letterpress. In total the rastering of the type took over two hours and during the process the plywood began to warp which occurs often with thin plywood. With the wood warping it meant that once the rastering was complete, the individual shapes which were meant to cut out each letterform would be off by a couple of cm. This meant after 2 hours of using the laser cutter the type was obsolete, with all available laser cutter slots booked up until deadline. I wasn't charged for the plywood as it warped but the technician told me to use thicker wood next time to avoid warping. This was unfortunate and sort of expected with it being my first time using the machine. Yet I did want thicker wood originally so the failure is most likely down to lack of communication.






From this I sadly wont be able to hand in woodblock for the deadline yet this was a valuable lesson for when I create woodblock in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment