Tuesday 1 May 2018

OUGD603 - Typeface design - Idea development

From research I noted that a defining part of Grainger Town is how the streets are beautifully proportioned and its architecture has coherence and unity. Therefore, this informed my decision to create a display uppercase type only. This is because when I think of coherence in typography I think of fixed width condensed display types. They are bold and most of the time unifying due to the fixed width, and fixed strokes used for a majority of letterforms. I believe that a fixed width type would suit representing Grainger Town as it bold and systematic, just like the architecture. Once I decided to create a display uppercase in a fixed width style, along with creating graphic elements from the architecture. I started to gather a clear idea of how I wanted the type to look, so I started experimenting with letterforms both in sketch and illustrator.































In the sketches I wanted to focus on how I can introduce slabs and serifs to represent cornices in a rigid manner. The stems and slabs of the letterforms help create a drum and stylobate of the Doric Order, so creating added detail had to be done with angled lines that are similar to the tapered columns.

No comments:

Post a Comment