Sunday 28 February 2016

OUGD406
Studio Brief 01
Idea development

The second idea I decided to develop was the concept of using grids to communicate the song, In the song ideas of hierarchy and rules are expressed so I imagined grids to keep order, also grids link with the track name 'art school', with the frequent use of grids in art and design.






































Above is the first digitalised design I did for this idea, the type content I chose was the year of release for the song along with 'permission' and 'rules' to signify order. This idea is basic, with a limited colour palette so when developing it I considered more colour and imagery I'd already collected of an art school.


This development was highly influenced by my ideas crit feedback, as someone compared one idea to the art movement De Stijl. So I designed a grid that was similar to the famous De Stijl lines and added small boxes of colour that I took inspiration from Peter Saville designs for New Order. I think this is a strong design but lacks any content as its too similar to the style of De Stijl and The Jam or the song have no relation to the art movement.

The final development of the idea reuses the original grid but includes concepts from other ideas, the image is of the art school from my first initial ideas. The set of circles are to resemble students, the red dot is to resemble individuality. Throughout the song it encourages individuality as seen here 'Anything that you wanna do, anyplace that you wanna go
Don't need permission for everything that you want
Any taste that you feel is right
Wear any clothes just as long as they're bright'

The addition of these two add content behind the design, which I think was lacking in earlier developments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment