Monday 1 February 2016

OUGD406
Studio Brief 01 - Design is about doing

Studio Brief / Secret 7 

I should aim to visually explore the artists and tracks, through the context of the secret 7 competition. I'm competing against 1000's of submission from all over the world, so my design/designs have to stand out. 100 designs for each track will be selected, pressed and printed to be exhibited at Sonos Studios in Shoreditch / London and sold for £50 to raise money for the Amnesty International. Creatives from around the world are invited to interpret the tracks in their own style for every 7”. The seven tracks to choose from are :


- Chvrches - Clearest Blue
- Etta James - At Last
- Jack Garrett - Worry
- The Jam - Art School
- John Lennon - Imagine
- Max Richter - Dream 3
- Tame Impala - The Less I Know the Better
Background / Considerations
I should aim to explore the visual semiotics of the track from a personal perspective, by interpreting the content, lyrics, genre, style etc in a visual sense. I need people to see my work and the essence of graphic design is communication. There is no value producing work for it to be placed in a drawer. Often the best work or best ideas are the ones that people have seen. 
Mandatory Requirements
Final resolution as specified in the competition brief, example of the four sleeves I didn't select to enter, a minimum of thirty thumbnail possible design treatments and supporting design development work and documentation on my blog and design sheets. 
Deliverables 
Five visual variations of my chosen record sleeve and design board that document my final design. 
Interpretation of the brief
My first interpretation of this brief is that i'll personally enjoy it because not only am I interested in graphic design in the music industry but I've designed album artwork before, not on the same scale as a live brief but I believe I can take certain parts of research / gained knowledge from the past brief and develop my understanding more. The brief is very self led in my opinion, so it'll be interesting to see my final outcome and how it relates to the brief but mainly how it relates to the chosen track.
Personal Aims
As this is the first live brief of the year, I'd like to measure myself to see how I progress throughout the brief and try to stick to a timetable of work. As graphic design in the music industry already interests me, an aim for me will be to further my knowledge of it, I could do this by extensive research and experimenting with how content, genre, style and lyrics influence and inform a design. 

No comments:

Post a Comment