Monday 1 February 2016

OUGD406
Studio Brief 01 -  Study Task 01

Before jumping into the studio brief and starting designs for Secret 7 2016, we took a step back and looked at last years track entries, for this study task we had to choose a track then create an obvious and an ambiguous response. This task enabled me to realise the certain considerations to take into account when designing a cover. I chose the track 'Let forever be' by The chemical brothers, prior to the task I'd never listened to the song but chose it because I like the visual identity the chemical brothers have, so I thought I'd build on that.






















This is my first idea for the track, the eternity symbol signifies 'forever' from the track title. Throughout my design the theme of time is used a lot as I believe it embodies the track.

The second response is simply the title of the track blurred out, later on when I received feedback someone commented saying it was like a 'timewarp' which related back to the time theme.

This idea also follows the time theme, with the obvious inclusion of an alarm clock that says the time 'forever'.






















This is another obvious response that uses type to communicate the title of the track, the line connecting the 'B' to the 'E' is in fact a timeline.






















This is by far the most ambiguous design I did, I photoshopped the two members of Chemical Brothers faces together then applied numerous effects to give an in sync effect.






















The Chemical Brothers current album artwork influenced this design as I used the zig zag like lines then added the timeline idea to it to create obscure timeline.

When I presented my ideas to a small crit group that all did the same track, the obvious feedback I knew I'd receive was to include more colour but normally when I'm just producing ideas I prefer to produce the work in a small colour palette then later add more colour in development. The time theme received positive feedback which was also encouraging. Once the small crits were over, another group had to choose the best solution for the track and the feedback for my idea was ' We have chosen this design because it is ambiguous enough to make it intriguing but also relates to the song. The smudge / warped effect connotes time warp, forever. We also like that the title is hidden inside.' The feedback is referring to the second idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment