Wednesday 18 April 2018

OUGD603 - Left Bank Opera Festival - Digital developments

In development I was inspired by Japonism which is a decision influenced by research into Camille Saint-Saens’ ‘The Yellow Princess’. The composer of the production, Camille Saint-Saëns like many French artists at this time, was influenced by the Japonism movement in Paris. Therefore, I looked into Japonism styles to influence my ideas further. I discovered a selection of art which mainly comprises of irregular shapes and colours. However, these images I found related heavily to my ideas of combining imagery of opera with illusions contained within shapes.


For a starting point I downloaded royalty free imagery of Asian opera performers from Flickr which I could use freely in my designs. I wanted to use imagery as it highlights the importance of the costumes and masks which celebrate the difference between east and west opera.



From here I began developing my ideas in photoshop with the combination of imagery and vectors of illusions and shapes I created in illustrator. The illusions I created were typical whirlpool illusions which can be crafted into any shape and maintain the illusion feel. 


Initial digital development mash up elements and overlays create an image that allows all three influences and concepts to be seen. For a colour palette I chose red and black which was influenced by research into the theory behind masks. The red indicates a positive character and it can also mean prosperity, loyalty, courage, intelligence and heroism. While black represents neutrality, these two colours paired together contrast but also personify the event with the  theory linked to Asian opera.

Continued developments explore shapes derived from both opera masks and Japonism art.


For a variations of ideas I stepped away from imagery when possible. Instead only using shape and illusion but this blurs the concept slightly, but the image remains aesthetically pleasing. I also played around with the image, by duo-toning it and combining it with patterned shapes representing masks and costumes.

No comments:

Post a Comment