Monday 9 April 2018

OUGD603 - Research led brief - Feedback & additional changes

Receiving feedback from peers was crucial as getting a new set of eyes on the book and cover made me realise certain changes to make. On a whole feedback for the book was positive as peers believed the book had a uniform look, with the editorial not taking too much away from the images. The system I put in place created a consistency throughout with peers believing it wasn't fragmented, as this was a worry of mine prior to the feedback. This is due to the book covering a number of topics in one, so I was concerned with the flow of content. My peers felt with the help of an introduction and separate chapters for each stage of the 'economic miracle' the book is read in stages which help piece it together.

I wanted to also gather opinions of the covers I designed for the book. At this stage I felt my mind was already made up regarding the cover but required a fresh set of eyes to look over the work. I explained reasonings behind the cover and allowed my peers to make a decision based upon that and the mocked up cover. From who I asked everyone thought the idea of progression, with the front representing 1945 and the back 1991, was clever. People believed it also brought more clarity to the book as it shows that Japan was rebuilt, due to the content within the book. However, I was more concerned with which exact design stood out best. My peers believed the more obscured ideas were a test to the concept and the idea with the 'chaos' within the circle was better suited. I agreed with my peers as I felt this cover was less ambiguous than the others, due to the Japanese flag being more visible unlike the others.




























To further the concept of the cover and assure more coherence I added a inside covers which show Japan 1945 and 1991 in photographic form. The front inside cover showing the devastation of Hiroshima following the war and the back inside cover showing a modern Tokyo bustling with life.



No comments:

Post a Comment