Monday 19 October 2015

OUGD403
Whitney Museum rebrand

Experimental jetset were approached by the Whitney Museum to redesign their graphic identity ahead of their move to a new museum designed by Renzo Piano. The redesign focuses around the notion of a zig zag, the design refers a selection of things, for example the industrial nature of the new architecture, the archetypical roofs of factories, and the iconic exterior fire escape stairs of New York. Personally my first thoughts of the rebrand were that the zig zag was initially a 'W' representing Whitney but as I researched into the design process, continuos design explanations are presented for this rebrand. 

The use of the line gives the identity an open feel, a sense of freedom. The minimalistic design gives it flexibility in certain ways because I think the weight and thickness of the line look subtle with text but when you add image the logo looses its effectiveness. To allude back to the point of the design being 'open', this is achieved by the use of negative space. The remaining space is the museum itself, the artwork, the artists etc, I think the minimal style is trying to dampen down the institute itself and maybe focus on the pieces of art actually inside the museum. 


  


Back to my point before about the logo being lost once you add image, for instance in this advertisement which I personally like but still I believe the line weight isn't strong enough and is muted, the Neue Haas Grotesk type enhances the design but in this case it shouldn't have to, the symbol should be able to stand alone.  









The point in this exercise was to be able to asses my own work like the way I have done for the rebrand of Whitney Museum. I enjoyed this task because  I'm bittersweet over the design so it was good to analyse it, other than this task we also had to create a list of words that we could describe our work by,below is a short selection of them :

- Adaptable
- Engaging
- Cohesive
- Intricate
- Conceptual
- Functional

What I've gained from this task is that from now on i'll asses my own work and peers work with more depth and analysis.

No comments:

Post a Comment