Tuesday 20 October 2015

OUGD404
Study Task 01
Colour theory task

There are a number of established theories that relate to the use of colour and the way it is used in specific situations so for this task we had to choose colours that are most suiting for four different book genres, we used a Pantone colour guide to help our decision making. We had to pick two colours for each choice, one that I believe would typically represent the genre then one choice that you wouldn't expect but yet it still works.




Above are all the colour swatches my group chose for each genre,I'll start with reasoning behind the western genre. I don't believe either colour is typical or conformist for a 'western', when I think of a western,dirt,deserts and tumbleweeds spring to mind. All have a similar stereotypical colour but not one sticks in mind so we thought a colour swatch of a pale orange and a pasty yellow would be the right fit.

I found the Sci Fi genre tricky because when I envisage Sci Fi, empty black space comes to mind, on the other hand we thought of Sci Fi films such as star wars. Then from there we casted the colours of lightsabers as our colour swatch, not as vibrant as a lightsaber nonetheless I think these colours sum up Sci Fi well.

Moving onto Fairytale, the obvious choice was to have a pink colour to represent fairytales,when I think of fairytales I consider Disney, princesses and pink. For the second colour we thought we'd associate a blue with fairytales because in fact fairytales do have male protagonist. Personally I think these two options are stereotypical to say the least but I think we chose two pantone colours that fit well.

Finally the Horror genre, These colours had to be grim and murky to represent horror so primarily we picked the dark grey because it sums up gloom in a colour I think. The second colour is green because of the bleak and dim woods you often encounter with horror films.



No comments:

Post a Comment