Sunday 23 October 2016

OUGD504 - Studio brief 01 - Canons & Grids experimentation

In research I looked into canons and one of the canons I looked into was the Van De Graaf, therefore in experimentation I tried out the canon which is prominently used for type. When using the canon you have to resize the images to fit the grid so it doesn't allow much variety for layout unless you are mainly using type, which is a disadvantage to this brief as the final piece will be a photobook. The image below shows the layout I experimented with, the outcome is a modernist style which provides consistency but can only work for portrait images. The second image uses a landscape image, but the end result doesn't create an effective layout, the use of white space doesn't help isolate the image either.






























I created a 10 x 10 grid, this grid allows consistency along with more freedom to move images around which suits my landscape imagery for this brief, I also believe this grid helps the text flow better throughout the spread. Below are some examples of the grid in use.




  



















I then went onto creating another grid which is 20 x 20, this grid acts in the same way as the 10 x 10 grid but allows even more manipulation of type and image, I believe this one would be most suitable for type content.


No comments:

Post a Comment