Monday 3 October 2016

OUGD504 -  Studio brief 01 - Concept ideas

 Is Amsterdam misinterpreted by youth?

Amsterdam in a visual sense to many people symbolises Cannabis and the red light district but what I shot in the 'Venice of the north' is a far cry from that stereotype. My images show a different side to the capital of Holland, a side that shows a design city and culture beyond the norm associated with the city with many youngsters.

Amsterdam is misinterpreted by youth, to help justify my view on the stereotype with Amsterdam with youngsters, I asked a number of my peers to name the first thing that came to mind when I said 'Amsterdam'. The result was clear that drugs and prostitution were mainly associated with the city, with bikes and canals being the other common answers. My images don't show any resemblance to these views so an initial idea is to introduce a new Amsterdam to youngsters who are unaware of such a vibrant design city, to almost educate them but also celebrate design in the city through type to many people who are familiar with it such as designers.

For this concept I have the idea to play with the stereotype and irony to trick an audience into being interested in the photo book, by stylising the book influenced by drugs or the red light district it'll catch the eye of an audience but once they open it, it'll contradict the title or overall style of the book in a humorous effect.

The target audience is varied for this concept, firstly it would be youngsters but in particular students who misinterpret Amsterdam then another audience would be creatives because of the content being influenced by the design of Amsterdam, for example the type and architecture.

Its not all Avenir

Before my trip to Amsterdam my basic knowledge of design and typography in the city was Erik Kessels 'Iamsterdam' concept, the huge Avenir typographic monuments dominate the cities visual identity similar to how Helvetica and Massimo Vignelli's subway designs symbolise New York. Initial ideas were to shoot solely Avenir type in the city for the summer brief but once I arrived I was immersed in diverse type everywhere, traditional calligraphy, neon signage, contemporary wayfinding and hand rendered shop front signage, to name a few. I came to realisation that Amsterdam had a rich history and bright future in type, much more than just Avenir that came across as the revived idea.

Once I returned home and examined my pictures, I noticed I didn't shoot a single picture of Avenir at all, so this is when I had the idea of showcasing typography in Amsterdam from a different perspective. Presenting the old and upcoming design in the city through type, displaying that it isn't all Avenir.

The target audience for this idea would be creatives of any age, anyone interested in design and travel. Other considerations when thinking of the audience would be have the people buying the book experienced Amsterdam before? if not then, the images would be exhibiting a new perception in their mind.

Feedback

During a group crit I talked through my concepts, showing my pictures and explaining possible routes to take for the two concepts. My first concept was received well, as people liked the idea of tricking an audience into being interested, but also people liked how I wasn't afraid to present Amsterdam in a drug associated style. I think the first idea was preferred more because people related to it, which was encouraging as my target audience is young creatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment