Wednesday 5 April 2017

OUGD505 - Studio brief 01 - Development

In development I chose to create four of the ideas in Illustrator in basic form to get a rough idea of how the potential final pieces may look like. I chose these four as I believed they received the most positive feedback but also ones I felt I could enhance more. From initial sketch to mocked up in illustrator I could see which ideas stood out, although I knew each idea could be considerably changed in development. I felt it was clear which one had a strong enough aesthetic, originality and able to celebrate the event confidently.
















The first idea of 'Long live the cosiest cinema in Leeds' is set in Colophon foundries Central Avenue which is based on  hand-painted signage. The typeface style is a simple sans serif but with a industrial and and contemporary feel to it. It fits perfectly for old cinema signage but this response like my peers mentioned in feedback is obvious and maybe can only be altered a number of ways in development. The second development is the peg board idea which plays with the cinemas informative peg board which is situated outside the door of the cinema. 'Long live the cosiest cinema in Leeds' is constructed from dot to dot in a custom font. In the first attempt of this idea, not enough dots were available to create 'cosiest' but I was able to figure out how the idea would look on a basic level. This idea reminds me of work of Paul McNeil the typography designer who combines dots to create typefaces and systems.

The third developed idea is the one which utilizes exposed content with the combination of text and imagery of the cinema. I think this idea is the least informed in terms of the style but the use of images help reference the cinema and the unique features of the grade II listed building. The body copy of the design has small insights into the event in 1989. The final developed idea really pinpoints the year the council saved the picture house as it lists all the years the cinema has been around then 1989 is outlined for signification.

Feedback
As I stated in the introduction to this blog post I felt it was clear which one had a strong enough aesthetic, originality and able to celebrate the event confidently. The second idea of the peg board stood out the most for me and my peers believed so too. They believed thats it is both contextually informed and aesthetically informed as the message celebrates the event while the style has roots to not just Hyde Park Picture House but also cinema in general. They also liked how it isn't obvious at first that the design is a peg board and also believed the type can be played with more to make this an interesting response. Other feedback on the other basic developments were that the exposed content idea had potential but in the end wouldn't be as celebratory as the peg board idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment