Thursday 20 April 2017

OUGD505 - Studio brief 01 - Evaluation

To conclude on Leeds public spaces which has been a fun brief to undertake for a number of reasons. Firstly the brief opened my eyes to a number of pivotal events in the history of Leeds, it allowed me to explore a number of events that helped shape the city but in the end I was able to celebrate and communicate something that I feel is personal to me in Leeds. As I've only lived in the city for two years I may not have an insight into the folklore of Leeds and certain events that have benefited the city and the people of Leeds. Nevertheless certain places have had a profound affect on me while studying here, nothing more than the independent cinema that is five minutes away from my house in Hyde Park.

Therefore I chose Hyde Park Picture House to celebrate as I believed it was perfect thing to portray which has benefited the city and people of Leeds. The grade II listed building is iconic in its own right but as I dug deeper in research I discovered the cinema has had some iconic and very important events in its long and lustrous existence. Ranging from its opening in 1914 to the first film shown and the morale boosting dramas aired during WW1, which boosted the morale of the local people surrounding the cinema. As I continued researching into the institute I felt their was only one event which has truly benefited the cinema and the people of Leeds, but also this event helps celebrate all events before and after it, in one. In 1989 the cinema hit rough times as multiplex cinemas and home video were rocketing so Leeds City Council intervened to save the cinema from closure. This event meant the 'Cosiest cinema in Leeds' remained the cosiest and continued to provide a authentic experience to film lovers in Leeds.

My research was extensive and broad but it was highly beneficial when it came to ideas and development as I was able to have an informative reasoning behind each design decision. I enjoyed idea generation as I thought of numerous ways to celebrate this event but I felt the final poster design I did represents a number of things at the cinema. Ranging from the celebratory message, the cinema peg board influence, the identifiable yellow colour scheme of the cinema, the bespoke typeface with diamond angles which are inspired by the diamonds throughout the cinemas architecture and interior.

The print process of this brief was enjoyable too as I was able to screenprint the poster but understanding the limitations of this process was a learning curve in this brief. I experimented with a gloss finish and applying it wasn't so easy, so I feel during this brief I had to consider and understand my process more in production. In terms of the final print quality then its just a case of the limitations of screenprinting which I personally feel I grasp more each time I screenprint.

Overall I am pleased with the final print and from feedback and personal preference I feel like the poster does justice to the cinema and helps celebrate the event through different avenues.

No comments:

Post a Comment