Wednesday 12 April 2017

OUGD505 - Studio brief 01 - Development

Now the print was ready for screenprinting it was time to consider materials and printing techniques to apply to my poster. As I discussed prior I required a range yellow stocks to experiment with in production so I looked into different variations of yellow on offer from paper merchants such as G.F Smith, Arjowiggins but even the college library provides good quality stock. Below are examples of yellow being used in the cinemas colour scheme and this moodboard gave me an indication of what I should be looking for when sourcing stock.


Materials/Stock





































After finding only three yellows which I deemed appropriate for the poster I tested each one to see what works best. I found that G.F Smith colorplan Citrine was the most suiting to the poster and the cinema, the other options such as Sunshine yellow was too saturated and distracted the eye from the display type. In the end the main reasoning for deciding upon the G.F Smith option was to keep in schedule with my time plan. To expand, I can easily purchase the colorplan stock in Leeds (Fred Aldous) while Arjowiggins has no stockists near me so I'd have to order online. Waiting three days for postage wasn't an option as I planned to print once I arrived back in Leeds on the 19th April after my easter break. Therefore I can easily pick up the stock once back and begin the production of the posters without waiting upon the arrival of a Arjowiggins delivery. 

Printing techniques
In research I looked into traditional printing techniques to learn the potential and limitations of the processes available to me at college. As I decided to screenprint the poster I wanted to experiment with certain finishes that I cant achieve through digital print. After thought into what techniques could be applied to enhance the aesthetic value of the design, I started to think more about what finishes could be applied through meaning. The biggest influence and aspect of the poster design is the peg board, so I thought about the qualities and characteristics of a peg board. Its a 3d object with the type being slightly elevated on the board, therefore I required a print finish that creates a 3D feel in 2D. Applying a gloss finish over the display type creates a sense of depth in the design and furthers the importance of the message of 'Long live the cosiest cinema'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment