Saturday 6 May 2017

OUGD505 - Studio brief 02 - Research

As the brief requires me to devise and develop a body of practical work that both distils my knowledge of an identified issue and demonstrates my ability to tap into the market potential for socially, politically and ethically-driven design. I felt a necasaary piece of research would be too look into the First Things First: a manifesto by Ken Garland (1964). The manifesto encourages designers to employ their skills to help the public, so I deemed it relevant to my research as I aim to help the issue of ageing through design.
































My take on the manifesto is to have a reversal of priorities, in favour of the more useful and more lasting forms of communication which actually serve a lasting purpose for society. Ken gives examples of ways in which we can use our design skills in better ways that help. Such as signs for streets and buildings, books and periodicals, catalogues, instructional manuals, industrial photography, educational aids, films, television features, scientific and industrial publications and all the other media through which we promote our trade, our education, our culture and our greater awareness of the world.

Reading the short manifesto made me rethink of ways in which to help old age and the issue of ageism, and instead of having ideas which aim to sell things to old people such as the products I looked in research. An approach which will affect society on a whole through experiences and opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment