Monday 19 March 2018

OUGD603 - Secret 7 - Idea development

For the development of the idea I wanted to take on board the research I found in the book Action Time Vision. Which gave an insight into the the design process and legacy of punk graphic design. Therefore, I wanted the work to have a sense of urgency and aim to empower others. Also for it to be raw but this could be achieved later on in the production of the idea.

Imagery such as the example to the left inspired me as I wanted something that had a clear link to the punk aesthetic, yet be current and distinguishable.















































The first stage of development was digitalising the clenched fist illustration. From earlier sketches I had a rough form decided upon which is a cartoon style. To accompany the fist I created basic vectors of arrows and a splash like shape, which was inspired by research into punk graphic design. The imperfect shape fits in well with the ideals of punk, such as a sense that anyone can do it. For early colour experimentation I just used the two colours from London Calling artwork, but I did find these colours too cliche for a response for The Clash.




























Experimentation with colour and polka dot




























I felt the composition needed more detail to give it more depth therefore I continued to analyse punk artwork and a majority of the time the finish gives it the desired depth. Instead I added random shapes that seem to bounce of the arrows etc. This continues the cartoon aesthetic but achieves its goal of adding depth and detail to the piece. The lines also add a little chaos to the artwork which is always good for a punk inspired piece. I used the polka dot detail from earlier developments for a more refined detail later on in development, with it used for shadowing on the hand.



I wanted to see if the idea remained legible through distortion as I liked the idea of it being really raw yet clean through the colour and shapes. I did find that certain distortions tested the idea so felt it wasn't the best route to take. However, I still wanted to use the distorted look, so I used it as a frame behind the developed piece. 







































Feedback

For feedback I had a selection of questions for my peers to answer regarding the work.

1. Would you say the artwork is punk?
2. Does the artwork create any emotions?
3. How would you improve it?

The responses are as follows:

1. I would describe it as contemporary punk. At the moment the colours and clean lines make it contemporary but the amount of assets crammed in sort of give it a punk look and feel.
2. It kinda looks like a fight in the background so it'd say anger is being communicated.
3. Mess on with the piece in production and maybe cut it up and stick it back together and be really DIY with it.

1. The artwork needs to be more DIY to be considered punk I think.
2. Chaos
3. Experimenting with colour and finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment