Sunday 18 March 2018

OUGD603 - Secret 7 - Initial sketches

The initial sketches focused on the idea of the fist in the air to show defiance, and for me this is the sole visual I interpret from the song.






























I began with some cartoon like hands clenched, as I personally like the cartoon style hands that are a bit of trend at the moment in design. They give a satirical aesthetic I believe, and I much preferred using a cartoon hand than say a lifelike illustration of a hand. I had an idea of the fist attached to a arrow pointing downwards, in relation to the lyrics and track title "Im Not Down". The fist is the defiant symbol to being down, yet the two are connected in the illustration as the song is a mix of up and down. I also liked the idea of playing with arrows to counteract the fist, as again the song is very up and down which is contradictory.


























With the main ideas being focuses around a clenched fist I couldn't not think of the Arthur meme. The Arthur’s fist meme is a reaction image featuring a screen capture of the protagonist Arthur from the children’s television series holding a clinched fist, it's often accompanied by captions describing various infuriating or frustrating circumstances. I think the meme alone would be an unusual submission for Secret 7, but one that does have links to the song as the lyrics describe many frustrating circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment