Wednesday 30 November 2016

OUGD503 - Studio brief 01 - Idea development

For development I designed each of my ideas in Illustrator sticking to the template provided by Penguin, at this stage I wanted to get a rough idea of what the ideas would look like in digital form then I'd be able to select one to carry on developing with help of peers feedback. Below are the first ideas I developed, I created a 3D triangle then made a pattern in Illustrator, the triangle resembles social class, hierarchy of Maycomb and social equality. I created the pattern as I was influenced by 1930s patterns for this book title. I chose Futura for the type used on all the first developments to give an insight into what a sans serif typeface would look like, Futura was designed in 1927 so is close to the time of the book. The three changes I made to this first idea was mainly the type layout, at first I positioned it at the top then the centre but the colours didn't work so I placed a box behind the type to make it more visible. I received some feedback on this idea and a peer recommended I changed the colours so I selected a green and golden yellow from the colour palette I made which was more appropriate.







































The design below is to signify Harper Lee's admission that although the book is set in Maycomb, the setting could be anywhere in the southern part of USA. The line is an outline of the southern USA map, I blended the lines to also suggest social class, with the numerous layers showing hierachy. This is an ambiguous response yet has pointers towards the books main talking points and definitely has a point of difference from the many other book covers it is competing against.


















The next idea is a selection of the 7 items found in the tree which were left by Boo, I decided to illustrate these in a way playful way which almost makes the book look like a children's novel. Its the most striking cover due to the colours and the complexity of it compared to the other designs and would definitely stick out on a bookshelf. When these 7 items are put together then the concept behind the cover comes together. 


No comments:

Post a Comment