Tuesday 1 November 2016

OUGD504 - Studio brief 01 - Test prints & Cutting process

The book was printed using the digital inkjet at college, the first test print didn't go to plan as I trimmed the stock using a stanley knife and ruler, I made a few minor mistakes that resulted in the book being out of alignment which wouldn't allow perfect binding, this was because I rushed this process which resulted in the first test print being poor. What I did get from this test print was seeing how the layout looked once printed, and how block black ink would work on the stock. If I was to commercially print this, I would be able to use white ink instead of printing block black ink onto stock, and possibly using double sided colour paper. I was happy with the layout at this point but just needed to perfect the trimming for next time around to enable the binding process to begin.









For the second test print I decided to use the power guillotine to stop the possibility of cutting uneven pages like the previous print. Before this I'd never used this piece of equipment so I had Mike in traditional print introduce me to the guillotine which would be close to what is used in commercial print. The process started well with all the pages being aligned unlike the last print, not until I removed the pages from the guillotine I realised the pages were in the wrong order, some being upside down which resulted the guillotine cutting off the page numbers or the page titling. If I was to cut the spreads in the commercial world, large printers often cut and fold the work in one, so this problem wouldn't occur.


At this stage of the project I didn't want to repeat this process for it to only happen again so I printed the spreads again and carefully placed them into the power guillotine, measuring each side precisely and placing them in order to prevent this problem happening again. For the third time of cutting the spreads it went well, not perfect but the best that could be achieved with the resources here at the college, if I was to print commercially it would most likely come out perfect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment