Tuesday 20 February 2018

OUGD603 - Photographers identity - Logotype development

To test the typefaces Emma chose I decided to experiment with all the available weights and in uppercase. Although Emma specified she wanted something with thin stroke widths, so either a thin or regular weight. However, I still wanted to asses every option for the four typefaces she decided upon.

















From the selection Emma picked out Lemur light and Poppins regular as her favourite for the logotype. Although, I personally prefer using a bolder option for logotypes I understood that the wishes of the client needed to be fulfilled. Additionally, a smaller weight logotype does help communicate the client, as Emma isn't a photographer with a brazen style. Instead her style is more stripped back and reserved so I think a light family will help convey this.

















Simple composition alterations were made to both Lemur and Poppins in development but for me one option stood out not only for aesthetic reasons but also contextual reasons. I believe Lemur has characteristics such as ascenders and descenders similar to Chinese characters. As Emma's origin is Hong Kong I found it very relevant to aim to include an aspect of her heritage in a subtle yet clever way.




















































The letterforms in the logotype have tails, ears and terminals that all have similarities to Chinese letterforms as sharp angles of the typeface help give this effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment