Monday 27 March 2017

OUGD503 - Studio brief 01 - Display wizard development

From looking into LCA guidelines in research I knew I wanted to work within the colleges guidelines for this brief and integrate my ideas with the colleges icons, colours and fonts. For this stage of development I simply experimented with the guidelines and chose which aspects of it to use.


I selected six colours used from the LCA colour palette, with only one justification for picking two colours as the yellow and green are the colours of Yorkshire. The other colours are bold and shouty which could help communicate the college, in prior research for this brief I found out that Display Wizard recommended to use colours that evoke different responses in people so when using certain colours I could research more into the way they evokes feelings. In the colour matching of the general artwork guidelines it states that they cant reproduce Pantone colours as they utilize 4 to 6 colour process so I used the nearest CMYK colours to the guidelines.




Instead of using the recommended typefaces from the guidelines such as Grot and Garamond I chose Apercu for both display typeface and body copy. Aperçu is an idea to create an amalgamation of classic realist typefaces such as Franklin Gothic, Johnston , Gill Sans and Neuzeit. This is one of the reasons for choosing the typeface as its a alternative realist typeface to Grot, it offers more versatility and legibility in my opinion and can work in both display and body copy. I also like the history of this typeface and how it combines classic sans typefaces to create one design, I resonate the rich heritage of this type design with Leeds College of Art's illustrious 170 years of existence.  

No comments:

Post a Comment