Monday 6 March 2017

OUGD503 - Studio brief 02 - Research

I required some feedback on my research so far so I presented my gatherings to both my peers and tutor to possibly find more research paths. Simon suggested to look into the Paris metro design as the typography used almost symbolises the city, similar to how Helvetica symbolises New York and Avenir for Amsterdam. Paris is iconic for the Eiffel tower but also its antique Metro signs, the signs vary from station to station, some featuring plain block capitals, others the most exquisite Art Nouveau. Researching this would enable me to understand the type of the city more and could later influence the groups ideas.
























Above is the Paris metro font, personally I think its a ugly type which reminds me of the metropolis logotype from the 1927 film. Nevertheless this font stands out in the streets of Paris and is definitely a style that is accustom to the city. I did further research into the font in context and it works well type set into a typographic poster as the negative space between each character creates a nice style which sways my opinion on the font. I undertook further research into the Metro system and the type in use throughout its history, Adrien Frutiger's font Métro Alphabet and In France, place names (particularly those from the Paris Métro) are in capitals only, in the majority of instances. In the early seventies, Adrian Frutiger was asked to design a special variation of his Univers typeface. His recommendation was to stick to capitals only to fit better with existing signage. At the same time, he designed Roissy which is a preliminary version of the typeface Frutiger.























No comments:

Post a Comment