Monday 20 March 2017

OUGD503 - Studio brief 02 - Animation idea

After the last group meeting it was now my role to produce the animation to represent Parisian youth culture. I volunteered to produce the video firstly because I wanted to test myself by producing an animation but also I had a number of ideas that were influenced by one of my favourite studios, studio Fiexen. The studio produces groundbreaking contemporary design but what I makes them so unique is the interactive posters they produce. I'm unsure whether or not these posters are code or they manage to push keyframes around in After effects to achieve these intricate and detailed animations. Nevertheless I wanted to push myself and aim to produce an interactive poster that represents Parisian youth culture and the unique qualities my group found out during research.

Studio Feixen interactive poster for Oto Nove Swiss






















When I started to think of ideas for the interactive poster, I wanted to firstly consider the design of the poster before the animation. In our other poster design we represent the people of Parisian youth culture, so for the animation a different approach was needed. In research Pigalle basketball court was a touchpoint that often came up, so we felt that representing this influential space was essential to portraying the unique qualities of the culture. With the poster being an animation it had the opportunity to have a number of solutions within one, therefore the animation can speak a number of languages while remaining engaging and thought provoking.


 The image to the left shows initial sketches for the layout of the interactive poster, each sketch shows the geometric shapes of the court in different forms. The aim of the initial sketches was get a rough idea of the base of the poster, knowing that elements would move around in the animation gives the design versatility.

The next step from here was to pick a few then vectorise them in illustrator to gain an understanding which one would work best. Feedback from the group enabled me to decide upon a few options to take further, sketches 3,4 and 8 were selected as the best options by the group so I chose these to develop.

I knew that the sketches would be heavily developed once in Illustrator and once again in After effects but having rough sketches allowed me to have an idea of what to storyboard and offered a good reference point.





























Above are the vectorised ideas of sketch 3, 4 and 8 but combined. The first is more complex compared to the second but both take aspects from the original sketches. For feedback I asked a number of peers which one would be most appropriate for the interactive poster, many believed the complex layout wouldn't work too well with the addition of type. I agreed with this as the more complex the layout then the elements moving around in the animation would over complicate the poster layout. The more simpler layout allows versatility and simplicity for the animation so I chose this response for the animation.

When it came to the addition of type to the poster I knew that the simplest of typographic approaches was needed to make this animation work. Using one of the buzz words we chose to use in the campaign, I used 'NOW' to represent Parisian youth culture as they are living in the now and are pushing boundaries. The animation had to represent the groups and languages in Paris so including English, French, Portuguese and Arabic in Noto sans was essential to showcasing the culture.
















Constructing a simple storyboard made it easier for me once I began the animation process in After effects, it provided me with a reference point and made sure I didn't stray from the original idea.






No comments:

Post a Comment