Thursday 23 March 2017

OUGD503 - Studio brief 01 - Display Wizard brief

As a substantial brief for responsive I'll be undertaking the Display Wizard student award, the brief requires me to design two display stands focussing on the social/cultural benefits of studying at your University/College. In my designs, I need to try and create stands which showcase the best social/cultural aspects of studying at my University/College. I need to ensure the branding is consistent across the display stands and the design fits with the dimensions of the stand, whilst all the time trying to appeal to prospective students who may want to study at your institution. To be eligible I will also need to provide a 250-300 word description which explains the inspiration for my designs and how I think it will stimulate interest in your institution and its city.

One big motivations to undertake this brief is the prizes available, the winner will be rewarded £500, a Wacom tablet worth £250 and an option of undertaking a summer internship at Display Wizard. With second and third place winning £100 and £50. It's a great opportunity for me to work on a real-life marketing project and showcase my work to The Design Council, University marketing department, the large-format print industry and the wider design world.

The brief states for inspiration, to think about my own experiences at the University/College and, in particular, how a sense of community is created there. What makes being a student at my institution so special from a social perspective? Why would a prospective student want to stay on your campus or live in my city?

I believe I can respond with a piece of design that speaks volumes about my university, it'll be fun to aim to represent Leeds College of Art in the form of graphic design. As this is a substantial brief, I'll be conducting research into the university and the city of Leeds to help push my ideas further. My ambition for this brief is to create an engaging contemporary banner that reflects Leeds College of Art and hopefully something I can include within my portfolio.

One of last year’s winning students, Michael Jackson, said of the competition:

“This was a great brief to work on that provided a lot of scope for creativity. Winning the competition and undertaking the internship has been a great experience for me personally and should aid my professional career going forward.”

Below is my self-management for this brief, managing my workload and meeting the deadline in May will be achievable as the module submission is 27/4/17 so this will force me to get the brief done.






No comments:

Post a Comment