Monday 6 March 2017

OUGD503 - Studio brief 02 - Research

Following my specific research tasks that I looked into to evoke better cultural understanding and celebrate the diversity of Parisian youth culture. I collected all the main points from research so I could summarise these to present to Ben and Joe, my main findings are below:


  • Noto Sans / open-source typeface family created by Monotype that covers every written language in the world, it covers over 800 languages and aims to preserve little-spoken or dead languages to help enable global communication “across borders, languages, cultures and time periods. This is relevant to the brief not only because its linked to Monotype but the typeface serves many particular languages and communities.
  • Fontsmith x Itnicethat / The series shows how typography is created but also how it can be adapted to add personality from particular backgrounds. Similar to the Monotype brief the typography aims to broader the possibility of type and to represent a culture, community or country but instead depicts the city of the designer and the unique visuals of that certain place. Looking into the Fontsmtih x Itsnicethat collaboration was an excellent source of research as it almost mirrors the Monotype brief, seeing how the designers altered Fontsmith fonts assured concerns about the Monotype brief. The designers almost make it look easy to alter a typeface to help evoke a culture, I can offer this research to my group and I'm assured this will later influence my groups work.
  • Paris as told by graphic designers article 
  • How Atelier Müesli is helping Paris become a destination design city again article
  • Typography in Paris

No comments:

Post a Comment