Wednesday 20 April 2016

OUGD406
Studio Brief 04
Research

I decided to research into guides that were relevant to my idea, to see which information was highlighted and how it was communicated. A good place to start was Monocle's travel guide series, The Monocle Travel Guide series reveals  favourite places in each city they cover, from the ideal route for an early morning run and the best spots for independent retail to detailed design and architecture pages and neighbourhood walks to get away from the crowds. They take everything from established city icons to hard to find new favourites, they also advise you on where to eat, drink and sleep. The travel guides cut the stereotypical tourist / hype of each city and shows the real experiences. I like this for my own guide, to cut through the over saturated locations and show the real experiences of leeds nightlife. 


I like the illustrative front covers of the travel guides as they mix bold type with playful imagery on each cover. This is a style I took inspiration from for my guide. I find the style similar to Massimo Vignelli's New York Subway branding / wayfinding with the use of helvetica / grids and the inclusion of the blue dots. 



No comments:

Post a Comment